The purpose of this project is to strengthen the capacity and infrastructure of the Egyptian Transport Centre of Excellence (ETCE). Through this cooperation a better transport planning capacity and support of the data management systems will be accomplished.
- Develop and execute a practical training programme for ETCE staff as well as other relevant governmental staff consisting of the tools and techniques of data base maintenance, surveying, transport planning (& utilizing transport planning software), management/modelling of transport systems and needs planning.
- Assist the ETCE staff in developing a sound financial plan that identifies funding sources for needed investments and demonstrates the reasonably reliable means to maintain and operate the existing funded transportation system (through developing and executing a training).
Activities under result 1:
- Explore the exact needs for setting up a comprehensive training programme for ETCE staff;
- List the relevant civil servants from other Ministries involved in transportation planning and invite them to join the training (to start the dialogue/keep the dialogue ongoing)
Activities under result 2:
- Requirements related to developing financial plans are listed and fiscal constraint as part of the transportation planning and programming process is demonstrated;
- Develop reasonable revenue forecasts;
- Identify and project the different types of costs associated with maintaining existing transportation assets and building new capacity;
- Discuss the causes of revenue and cost uncertainty;
- Align revenues and expenses to demonstrate fiscal constraint;
- Explain the mechanics of financing and transportation financing instruments;
- List the potential benefits and considerations; associated with public private partnerships and alternative project delivery strategies;
- Review best practices for developing fiscally constrained plans.
Activities under results 1 & 2:
- Study visit to relevant institutions in the Netherlands.
- Provide a follow up and coaching mission after the training period.