SummaryThe project is defined as the design, construction and operation of a new water supply system to serve Wajir and Habaswein towns, Lagbogol centre and the surrounding communities.
LocationWajir and Habaswein
ApplicantMinistry of Finance
Competent AuthorityMinistry of Devolution and Planning
Parties InvolvedBAM International,Gauff consulting, Balteau, Vitens Evides International
Total project cost / Total ORIO Grant amount42,700,000 Euro / 13,300,000 Euro
Status projectDevelopment Phase
In the Wajir district, 96 percent of the population does not have access to clean drinking water. The main objective of the project is making clean water available to Wajir town on a continuous basis in order to decrease the vulnerability to droughts of its inhabitants and their cattle. The project is defined as the design, construction and operation of a new water supply system to serve Wajir and Habaswein towns, Lagbogol centre and the surrounding communities. The potable water will be made available by pumping groundwater from the Merti aquifier which is approximately 110 km from Wajir.
The project consists of:
- Drilling, developing and equipping boreholes;
- Provision of clean water pumping equipment and storage facilities;
- Construction of main(pipeline) from Habaswein to Wajir town;
- Development of power generating system for pumping
- Construction of reticulation system for Habaswein and Wajir towns;
- standpipes and the connection of existing standpipes to the new water supply